Monday, January 19, 2009

Sense of Direction

Slowly but surely I have to make a decision on what I want to be doing. For me it's pretty clear that I want to do modern things, with loads of porcelain, clean lines, and minimal but tasteful decoration. And of course, it will be super chic as well! I can get a lot of inspiration from the blog writing artists to your right and the things they do, but the general American pottery studio makes totally different stuff. I'm getting a kick out of Western European and Japanese artists and am grateful for every American that thinks outside the box. Nevertheless do I also get ideas from the traditional pottery pieces; and I'm not saying this in order to step on nobody's feet, but I believe there is a place for everybody in this! Unfortunately I often feel like my criteria mentioned above does not hold what I want it to be. My work is often heavy and rustic. And when I then glaze it with our studio glazes, it looks way too traditional for my taste.

I really like Peppa Studio and I absolutely LOVE Diana Fayt's pieces. Actually I have one of her bowls (Obamaware) here at home and I use it all the time. It is cute, yet modern and fun and simple. I would love to see how she works! Since I have no talent drawing whatsoever I doubt that I can ever decorate my pieces with birds and flowers and donkeys... oh, and OBAMA! Unless, maybe, I use a stamp or a stencil. Hah! That might be an idea worth trying!

I've been trying to get my better half to take some pictures of some really nice pieces I've done last semester. Two are inspired by Jason Briggs' "ground". A teapot I did was my humble way of immitating Steven Hansen. I'll try to put some pictures up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment